In 2008, the United Nations initiated a year of human rights learning to mark the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In the UK, UNA-UK teamed up with UNESCO Associated Schools to produce materials to help secondary school teachers and students explore human rights together.
The resource, now posted to the web as a series of pdfs, contains a teacher’s handbook with slide presentations and corresponding factsheets for students. The five topics covered are:
– the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights
– the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
– child rights and armed conflict
– child rights and climate change
– human rights and international development