At the beginning of lockdown due to COVID-19, a group of organisations in the UK, passionate about peace and Restorative Practice, came together to think about how they could support schools during this time. The group produced a framework, RESTORE, as their contribution. RESTORE offers questions, methodologies and thinkpieces for school communities as they seek to re-build relationships between staff, pupils and parents and consider the social and emotional impacts this collective experience is having. This 16-page PDF is focused on supporting secondary pupils. Other related materials can be found on the Peacemakers website.
The activities are organised around the RESTORE acronym: Recognition, Empathy, Safety, Trauma, Opportunities, Relationships and Engagement.
- R – What do we notice is happening in this moment?
- E – What feelings are emerging?
- S – Given the climate in the group right now, is it safe to continue?
- T – Do individuals need time to regulate, and/or time to connect with others before we can talk about what has happened? Can we do this as a group?
- O – What positives can I draw on?
- R – How can I build connections between everyone right now?
- E – How can I gather thoughts, feelings and ideas from everyone? How do I feedback to people?