Adjusting to Change
This time of year can be a time of great change and transition in families, and in the lives of children and staff. It helps to prepare for changes by anticipating them and talking about them. Ask the following questions when you talk with children about changes in their family.
- Who are your good friends and why are they important to you?
- Families are always changing. Name some of the changes that have happened in your family. How do you feel about them?
- Do you expect any changes in your family in the future? What are they? How do you feel about them?
- Some kids don’t see one of their parents very much. Has this ever happened to you? How did you feel? What did you do?
- Sometimes changes in our families make us feel closer to others. What makes you feel good about your family?
Source: Robert Hughes, Jr., University of Missouri-Columbia, missourifamilies.org
CRE Calendar Usage: 3rd Edition